Thursday, August 30, 2012

Squirrels in the Present

The idea is that there is a kind of memory in nature. Each kind of thing has a collective memory. So, take a squirrel living in New York now. That squirrel is being influenced by all past squirrels.
Rupert Sheldrake.

Since I am a fan of Rupert Sheldrake, I decided to use the squirrel quotation notwithstanding the fact that the squirrels here are Tennessee River squirrels.  Presumably the morphogenetic field of Tennessee River squirrels is pretty similar to Central Park squirrels. 

Take the squirrel I observed recently at the Tennessee River.  If you had a big bushy tail would you hang by your back feet, completely upside down, and nibble on berries?  I didn't think so. Well, our human morphogenetic field is different from that of squirrels, so I am sure that explains it! I was reduced to observing squirrels at the Tennessee River one morning when the birds seemed to disappear.  Well, the squirrels chased at least some of them away!  As it turned out, I was glad, because this produced one of my favorite photos of the year.  I also learned a couple of things........

For instance, squirrels sit on vines so that they can use the front paws to eat.  I didn't know it at the time, because I was snapping photos from so far away with my new very zoomed camera that I couldn't really see the stuff I was snapping.  What a revelation it is to look at the photos later.

 
 
What I love about nature photography is that it is unpredictable.  Luck, persistence, patience all play a role.  I had to snap whatever the animal decides to do.  Even if you get a squirrel hanging by its toes eating berries, any two shots come out differently.  I have an obvious favorite between the following shots.  See if you agree with me. 
 


Now, the next ones.  Note that I am not the director, merely the observor.  Which is your favorite hanging squirrel photo, and why?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment